1. Introduction to the physics of degenerate Bose and Fermi gases (Dalfovo)
· Mean-field theory of ultracold bosons and fermions: Gross-Pitaevskii and Bogoliubov-de Gennes theories
· Superfluidity phenomena
· Ultracold atoms in optical lattices
2. Experiments with ultracold atoms (Jochim)
· Laser cooling and trapping; evaporative cooling
· Control of interactions
· Basics of few-body physics
3. Monte Carlo methods for quantum statistical mechanics (Krauth)
· Density matrices, path integrals, Levy construction
· Path integral Monte Carlo algorithm: ultracold bosonic gases
4. Introduction to exciton-polariton BECs (Wouters)
· microcavity polaritons: properties and experimental excitation techniques
· nonequilibrium Gross-Pitaevskii equation for polariton condensates
· polariton condensates: spatial structure and coherence properties
· superfluidity of nonequilibrium condensates
5. Dynamics in one-dimensional quantum lattice systems and related exact numerical methods (Rigol)
· Quantum dynamics of spinless fermions and Tonks-Girardeau bosons.
· Equilibration and the generalized Gibbs ensemble for integrable systems.
· Thermalization and the eigenstate thermalization hypothesis for nonintegrable systems.
6. Condensation in bilayer semiconductor quantum Hall systems (Stern)
· quantum Hall effect
· composite fermion and boson theory
· Chern-Simons theories
· Coulomb drag
· non-abelian quantum Hall states
The program is designed as an advanced training of young researchers on the frontiers of Bose-Einstein Condensation in Atoms and Semiconductors. The lectures cover detailed presentation of several important topics including advanced lectures, in class tutorials and applications stressing the theory-experiment relations aiming at the understanding of the material in depth by the participants. Part of the school will be targeting towards initiating small research projects between the participants and their advisors chosen from the lecturers. These projects are by no means meant to be finished during the school giving a chance to the participants to collaborate with the lecturers after the school.
of Theoretical and Applied Physics (ITAP)
Kaygıseki Mevkii, Turunc/Marmaris Turkey
Tel : +90 537 497 8549 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org website: http://itap-tthv.org